Honouring one’s mother is the highest honour in Tamil: Kundrakudi Ponnambala Adigalar
SRM Tamil Peraayam awards 2021 presented to noted pulavargal
SRM Institute of Science and Technology (SRMIST), Kattankulathur presented awards and honours to the winners of the SRM Tamil Peraayam Awards 2021 (Thamizh Academy Awards) at the celebration held at the Institute’s premises. The event was presided over by the Founder Chancellor of SRM Group of Institution and the Member of Parliament (Lok Sabha) Dr. T. R. Paarivendhar, National Award-winning lyricist Vairamuthu and Kundrakudi Ponnambala Adigalar.
Present on the occasion were SRMIST’s Pro Chancellor (Administration) Mr. Ravi Pachamoothoo, President Mr. S. Niranjan, Vice Chancellor Dr. C. Muthamizhchelvan, Registrar Dr. S. Ponnusamy, Tamil Peraayam President Mr. Karu Nagarajan among others.
Speaking on how SRMIST has been hosting Tamil Peraayam Awards each year, Dr. T. R. Paarivendhar said, "These awards have always been stepping stones to bigger awards, the like Sahitya Akademi Award."
Addressing students he said that such awards should motivate them to take up Tamil learning and teach others as well. He insisted that students should be proud of their mother tongue and take efforts to patronize it. In his concluding remark, he said, "These awards will be given each year to encourage many more to promote the language all over the world.”
Urging students to give more time for literature Mr. Ravi Pachamoothoo said, “Students always need to be enthusiastic when coming to studying Tamil. Studying gives us knowledge but literature allows us to think.”
“Students need to learn from Dr. T. R. Paarivendhar”, said lyricist Vairamuthu. Addressing students he said that it is very important for each one of them to leave a mark in this world through literature and education.
He too urged students to become patrons of Tamil and use technology to take it all around the world. “The only way we can promote Tamil is through the students. It is also important not to have low self-esteem or high self-esteem as both will lead to the destruction of oneself,” he advised students.
“Recognizing the right person at the right time is the biggest honour,” said Kundrakudi Ponnambala Adigalar. “Always make the best use of time when you’re alive. Education should not just give you knowledge but help you learn to love and have humanity.
He cited examples from Tamil history on how poet Bharathiyar and V O Chidambaram uplifted the morals of the language. In his concluding remark, he said, “Honouring one’s mother is the highest honour in Tamil.”
At the Tamil Perayaam Award ceremony India Post released SRM stamps and handed it over to Dr. T. R. Paarivendhar.
The winners were awarded for their best contribution towards the Tamil language, literature, & culture for 2021. The awardees and prize money are as follows:
- Pudhumaippithan Padaippilakkiya Virudhu (Short Story, Novel, Drama) of Rs. 1 Lakh was shared between Kengapuram A Venila and Sruthi from Muthunadu.
- Bharathiyar Kavithai Virudhu of Rs. 1 Lakh was Kurunjippookal Kadavoor Manimaran
- Aazha Valliappa Kuzhanthai Ilakkiya Virudhu (Rs. 1 Lakh) was given to Malayar Manipadalgal book Vettriselvan
- G.U. Pope Translation Award (Translation from Tamil) of Rs. 1 Lakh was given to Dr. Palani Arangasami
- Pai. Na. Appuswamy Aaruviyal Tamil Virudhu/A.P.J. Abdul Kalam Technology Award (Science / Technology in Tamil) – Rs. 1 Lakh was given to V. Dilli Babu
- Muthutthandavar Thamizhisai Virudhu (Book on Sculpture / Pictograph (Painting), Tamil Music – Rs. 1 Lakh was presented to TKS Kalaivanan
- Parithimar Kalaingnar Thamizh Aivaringnar Virudhu (Research Book on Tamil) – Rs. 1 Lakh was given to C. Mahendran
- Muthamizh Arignar Kalaignar Social Justice award – Rs. 1. Lakh was presented to C. Mageshwaran
- Sudesamithiran Thamizh Idhazh Virudhu (Tamil Arts, Literature and Cultural Journal) – Rs. 50,000/- goes to M Poongundran
- Tholkappiyar Thamizh Sangam Virudhu (Rs.50,000) is awarded to Manimegalai Mandram from Rajapalayam
- Arunachalakkavirayar Virudhu (Tamil music / Folklore Troupe) of Rs. 50,000/- was given to Thirupuvanam Athmanathan
- Paarivendhar Painthamizh Virudhu (Lifetime Achievement Award) – Rs. 3 Lakhs was presented to Dr. P. Valanarasu.