SRM Medical College Department of Transfusion Medicine ( Blood Bank) is a service with state-of-the-art facilities. It is one of the largest & well maintained blood banks in southern states with 4000 sq. feet of total area. It is started on 25/8/2004 with the vision of providing safe blood & blood components, which is collected mainly from voluntary blood donors.
Laboratory & Facilities
It offers entire spectrum of services from blood collection to testing and component separation. Voluntary blood donor list & registry are maintained Blood donation camps are conducted periodically. It caters to nearby hospitals as well .
Blood is collected from donors who satisfy stringent donor selection criteria . Whole blood & its components like packed red cells , platelets, fresh frozen plasma, Cryoprecipitate are available. Leucodepleted products like red cells to prevent & reduce transfusion reactions are also available.
SRM Blood Bank is one of the few centers to do TTI Screening procedures with advanced methods like CLIA which reduces incubation period of viruses like HIV, HBV , HCV in blood donors & increases the safety of blood transfusion to patients .
Advanced facility of Apheresis, where in a cell separator is used to collect required components like platelets , stem cells , granulocytes from the donor is available , which is used mainly for treating Oncology & transplant patients.
Criteria For Blood Donation
- Age group between 18-60 years
- Frequency of donation once in 3 months
- The weight should be above 45 Kg
- Hb level should be above 12.5 gm%
- BP should range from 100 to 140 mm of Hg systolic by 60 to 90 mm of Hg diastolic.
- Avoid pregnancy / breast feeding / menstruating female donors.
- Free from jaundice / hepatitis in the past 2 years
- Free from major surgeries in last 6 months
- Free from malaria, syphilis & HIV
Role Of Youth In Blood Donation
- Young donor is the donor of future
- High percentages come from colleges and University students.
- Young people are not only the most enthusiastic segment of the society but are generally more ready than elders to seek ways to resolve society
- Blood donation is an excellent outlet for this fountain of constructive energy. This is true not only of blood donation itself but also of organizational work which makes blood donation possible. Students can play a leadership role in the organization of blood camps at their colleges & Universities. This involves motivation among other students; extend to parents in turn to community to take part in blood donation.